1.05.2010

•••all because of...•••


...faith.



3:00pm december 31, while driving on the bumpiest roads we could find in gilbert, az (aka a neighborhood with speed bumps) we start having doubts of having our little girl this year. while doubting the timing & the fact that i wasn't having any contractions, i strongly say "NO! we are going to have her today. i know it!" you see, our financial situation has changed somewhat and we were hoping she could be that blessing from Heavenly Father of a little bit more financial security. (among the more obvious blessings she would bring us)


5:00pm december 31 the long debated question of all mothers in desperate desire to have a baby..."castor oil? to take, or not to take?" what did i do you may ask. let me finish the story.


8:00pm december 31 my first trip to the bathroom. (no contractions, mind you) kelly comes in to see how i'm doing. we turn our faith over to Heavenly Father realizing that there are only a few short hours before 2010. "He must have another idea in mind for us" we say to eachother. so, i send a text out to a few friends & family saying that there was going to be no baby that night & to have a wonderful new year.


9:00pm december 31 contractions start. i jump up out of bed, holding onto counters & walls. one right after the other, getting more & more painful by the second. we get to the hospital. make a trip to the bathroom, for which i'm praying is my last bout before any nurses have to check me. (i mean, come on, they may see it everyday, but they don't need to witness my business!) i tell the nurse "i'm sorry to say it, but i took castor oil a little while ago" to which she says (with a disgusted look on her face) "oh honey. that's just an old wives' tale!" kelly responds quicker than i have ever heard him respond before "well, it worked!"


10:00pm december 31 they get me to the delivery room, wrenching in pain. 10:25pm she was here. i was holding our 2nd little baby girl. blessed by our Heavenly Father. after holding her, offering a tear-filled prayer of gratitude to Him, another text goes out something like this "nevermind, we have our little baby girl!"


i will never doubt that our Heavenly Father will answer our prayers. even if it comes in the form of something yucky...like castor oil!



ellenore fern ~ 8lbs 7 oz

21 comments:

Jenifer said...

Oh my goodness! So beautiful! What a cute story, and I am soooo happy for your little family!

I was raised in a barn said...

Yeah!! She is so cute!! I am so glad she came when she did. Its a perfect story! I took that stuff once. i am gagging just thinking about it- yuck! Glad it worked for you- didn't for me :( Let me know if you need any help with Olivia or dinner or anything- i m here for you:)

Lori ~ LL-K said...

Wow, what an amazing story!! I love it! and what a sweet blessing she is!! She is adorable! Congrats!

Andrea said...

haha!! i can't believe it happened that fast!!!! Jeemeny christmas!! That's a funny story. You thought she was gonna be like a month early too! :) hee heee....we all feel like that by month seven I think! :) She is a doll!! Congrats!!

angela hardison said...

she is beautiful. what a great story.

congratulations!

Marie said...

Congratulations!! She is adorable! What did you name her?

Erica Shurter said...

How cute! Love the story... that is why I like blogs better than facebook! But you forgot her precious name on your blog! :) Adorable! :)

Britta said...

Congrats! Love the story too! What a fast labor! Glad for the deduction!

Erin said...

What a great story, I am so glad that she is here safe and sound!

mad white woman said...

what a fantastic story. the faith and the new baby. and i can't help but love it when people have babies on the last day of the year b/c of the tax implications. it makes me giddy. :)

Cassie and Sam said...

Congrats! She is beautiful and what a great story.

judy nik said...

Great story, sister, and the truth...I was there!! 'Course, kelly and I were watching year 1 of "24" but we tried to keep up with you...We finally got to feeling guilty and quit...just in time for the "action"...Hard to say which is worse...1 hour of intense pain or the 24 hours of misery you had last time. For me, I think the 1 hour is better..for a mother ! Childbirth is not ever fun anyway. Well, some are easier than others I guess, I never had an epidural...anyway, I guess we join the "castor oil worked for me" side of the survey. Grandma J

judy nik said...

Great story, sister, and the truth...I was there!! 'Course, kelly and I were watching year 1 of "24" but we tried to keep up with you...We finally got to feeling guilty and quit...just in time for the "action"...Hard to say which is worse...1 hour of intense pain or the 24 hours of misery you had last time. For me, I think the 1 hour is better..for a mother ! Childbirth is not ever fun anyway. Well, some are easier than others I guess, I never had an epidural...anyway, I guess we join the "castor oil worked for me" side of the survey. Grandma J

judy nik said...

And yes, Grandma Jude is technologically incompetent !!! But I can spell technologically, even if I don't know how to post things. I even stutter when I post...and I'm an assistant speech therapist !! By, this is the last

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie! She has changed since we saw her at the hospital. You are such a cute little family. I love you all so much, take care and give the little girls a kiss from their great aunt Sandy. Love ya!

brandy said...

What a great birth story!! Congrats, Sheri. She is absolutely beautiful!

Here's to: The New Year with a beautiful new baby, the Lord answering our prayers, and to castor oil!!!!

gentry's said...

she is absolutely adorable. im so happy i was able to meet her. she is perfect and precious, as all babies are. i hope our daughters get to know one another really well. congratulations to you both, well including livie too, you make amazing parents. love you! i wanna see you again real soon.

Leslie said...

Woo hoo for castor oil and speed bumps! We sure enjoyed seeing you guys last week. A family of four...now that is awesome. :)

taryn said...

what a great story! congrats on your beautiful little girl with a beautiful name to fit. :)

Jamie said...

Very cute Sheri!! I love the name too!! Congrats on another littl girl!

MarenG said...

So glad she made it in time for a 2009 tax break! Congrats...she is just precious.